Sunday, September 11, 2011

What have I learned this week?

This week I have gain insight of the importance of comprising a well thought-out research plan consisting of student discipline. What do I hope to gain from this research? Hopefully what all educators would hope to create within their classroom, discipline strategies to create harmony for producing constructive learning.   This is why my student discipline has created a wondering for me as an action research project.  As a teacher, I am always looking for ways to grasp a better understanding of my students. If administration can find positive ways to mold student’s actions without degrading students with negative reinforcements while winning over respect and interest from today’s student, then administration opens doors to students learning while creating positive learning environments.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if I posted this on one of your previous discussion board responses, but your action research project reminds me of something that I heard over the summer at one of our professional development seminars. I was privileged to hear Todd Whitaker speak on what makes an effective educator. In his seminar he seemed to have a common theme of "treating everyone as if they were good." He said, far too often, we treat our students as if they were all bad in an effort to extinguish the negative actions of the few. This has the effect of punishing the masses and, in a weird way, validating the actions of the problem students. (Those that act out love to bring those around them down.) He said that if we shift the responsibility to the shoulders of the problem students, we validate the efforts of the good while pressuring the negative kids to improve. I've personally tried this strategy on a kid this year that was supposed to be my worst student. It took three weeks for him to respond, but he is finally turning the corner on his actions. I checked his website, and Todd Whitaker has another book out that might be a good read for your project, 50 Ways to Improve Student Behavior.

    ReplyDelete